Attention DriversDriving Safely in School Zones
Driving in School Zones
We understand that many parents drive to school on a regular basis. On those days, please consider parking 3-5 blocks away and walking to school with your child(ren) and please observe these extra cautions:
- Children are small and unpredictable. Please pay extra attention when driving in school zones.
- Slow down. Observe all posted speed limits.
- Stop at all stop signs and look carefully before proceeding.
- When exiting a driveway, stop at the sidewalk (not the street) and check for children before entering the street
- Avoid distractions such as cell phones, drinks and even the radio for the short time you are in the school zone
- Always park safely and drop off or pick up your child(ren) only at the curb.
- Do not double park and allow children to exit/enter your car while walking between other cars.
- Do not drop off or pick up from across the street and encourage children to exit / enter on the drivers (street) side.
- If using a drop zone, obey the school’s policies. Generally: pull forward and stop at the designated area. Wait until an attendant is available to assist your children before exiting the car. Move quickly so as not to hold up the line. Before stopping, be sure backpacks are packed and ready to go, and your children have all their belongings. When leaving the drop zone, be sure to check for traffic and other children before proceeding.